Subtract within 50.
Understand that the same process is utilized to add three or more whole numbers that is used to add only two numbers.
Number line, Take a way
- Students were given 3 or more number sentence to solve. They can use number line to find out the difference.
- Made their own number line on the board to answer the equation.
Subtract the following:
49-10-7-3 = ? (29)
30 - 11-7 = ? (12)
43-3-10-4 = ? (26)
- Start counting from the first jump from the biggest number.
- Take away one at a time using the number line.
Solve multi-step addition and subtraction problems within 50.
Solve problems that have more than one operation, addition and subtraction.
Understand when solving a problem that has both addition and subtraction operations that solving starts on the left and continues to the right.
- Students were given set of number sentence with comnination of addition and subtraction using number line.
- Read the equation and figure what is the missing number.
Find the ? in the given equation:
Solve all the addition first then in the number line, find out how many jumps do you need to do to reach 20?