Decompose given quantities by using counting strategies.
Understand that “taking away” makes a smaller quantity.
Represent “taking away” with objects, fingers, drawings, etc.
Take away, Knocked down, Equals
- Student used dice to identify which number to take away from our Loose Tooth subtraction worksheet.
- Played bowling game.
- Using the bowling worksheet, students was asked to write how many was knocked down and how many left. Numbers were written on a number sentence after we figure out the given and the answer.
Collect quantitative data from a given diagram.
Looking at a picture where information is chaotic or spread out, count to gather data and answer questions.
Understand that data can be read more quickly in graph form.
- Student sorted and counted how many animal counters.
- Student built something out of 3D shapes. Counted each kind of shape she used then made a bar graph out of it.
- Counted different colored blocks and made a bar graph.