Understand that a fraction is a quantity formed when a whole is partitioned into equal parts.
Understand and explain what a fraction is.
Compose a written fraction to describe a visual or a visual to describe a written fraction.
Identify the number of shaded or unshaded parts as the numerator of a fraction.
Identify the number of equal parts as the denominator of a fraction.
Fraction, Numerator, Denominator, Reduce, Lowest Term, Equivalent
1. Students were given a fraction. They then explained to me what the meaning of the fraction was. Then, they expressed it using fraction bars. We did another higher level thinking step and found equivalent fractions.
2. Students showed their understanding of fractions, so we played a game similar to Bingo. Students were able to use higher level thinking strategies to find equivalent fractions. They flipped over task cards that either had words, pictures or a fraction given. They reduced the fraction to lowest terms applying and using the division strategy.
1. Show me 2 equivalent fractions for 4/8?
2. Turn 12/18 to lowest terms.
1. What are two operations we can use to find equivalent fractions?
2. What do you need to do to the numerator and denominator?
3. What operation do you need to use to bring a fraction down to lowest terms?
1. 1/2 or 8/16 or 2/4
Techniques and Formulas
Measure area by counting full and half-unit squares.
Relate area to arithmetic operations (multiplication and addition).
Recognize area as a measurement of 2D shapes.
Area, Squared Units, Formula, Measurement, Irregular Shape, Arithmetic Operations
1. Students used the formula for area to find the measurement of 2D shapes. They also found the area for irregular shapes. Students also did an extra step and found perimeter.
2. Students started to design a "Dream House" using the idea of area. They could design any house with as many rooms and whatever they wanted to include in their dream house. Today, they started to create the rooms and places. They figured out a few room's area. They will continue next week. They need to find the area of each place and then find the total area of their house.
1. Find the area of the living room.
2. Find the area of your bedroom.
What is area? What is the formula for area?
Area is the inside of a shape or in an area. The formula for area is A=lxw