Create simple patterns.
Construct patterns of rotation.
Construct growing patterns.
growing pattern, rule, rotation
- created growing patterns using Halloween erasers
- stated the rule that their patterns followed
- created patterns of rotation using Halloween erasers
Solve addition and subtraction problems where a symbol is used to represent an unknown quantity.
Informal introduction to variables.
Explain that symbols can be anything: a question mark, a blank space, a color, a shape. The symbol is just an indication of what needs to be solved.
Look closely at the problem to determine what needs to be solved, it is not always after the =.
- determined the value of each pumpkin emoji symbol using the information in the given addition and subtraction equations
- solved addition and subtraction problems using the values they determined for each pumpkin emoji